Friday, July 18, 2008

A restored 1977 English built frame


I recently received a email with pictures from Rod Taylor, who lives in England. Rod is the original owner of a frame I built for him in 1977. In his message he wrote:

“Out of all my bikes, road, track, audax, touring, roadster, cyclo-cross, hybrid, mountain, my 1960 Dave Davey and 1977 Dave Moulton stand out as my favorites.

Last year I gave the frames to Dave Yates for renovation, the Dave Davey as a track bike was simpler to restore, but I took the decision to equip the Dave Moulton with the newer Campag gear.

The rear ends were increased to 130mm and new gear brazings fitted. Although I was using the latest components to rebuild it, I didn't choose carbon parts as I believed Campagnolo Mirage alloy would be more in keeping.

The finishing touches were added by employing a company in Cambridge to copy the transfers / decals, and the original orange Unica saddle has been retained. I am extremely pleased with the results of both machines, I love steel frames”


Thirty-one years old, in dog years that would be 217. I’m not sure what the ratio is for old bicycle frames. Maybe 2-1, sixty-two would be a reasonable guess.

I whole-heartedly approve of Rod’s decision to build this bike up with modern equipment and keep riding it. Rather than keep it as a museum piece.

The interesting thing I notice is that the bike does not look odd, with the old frame and modern components. I have seen several Fuso bikes re-built this way.

I think the reason is, by the mid 1970s I had established my own frame design, which at the time was out of sync with what other builders were doing.

However, I stuck with what I believed in, and this would become the standard design I would use on my American built frames of the 1980s. (John Howard, Fuso, and Recherché.)


An interesting footnote. Rod still has the original brochure from 1977 when he ordered the frame, he sent me a photocopy.

Click on the picture to view a larger image. Look at item 2: Shot-in seatstays. This is what is referred to in the US as “Fast Back” seatstays. Of course, they are no faster; it is just another way to attach seatstays.

The Dave Davy track frame (Mentioned above.) that Rod had restored along with the ‘dave moulton,’ can be viewed here. Scroll down the page to see pictures of this frame in white, along with photos of Rod Taylor riding the same bike in 1966 time-trials.

This is on the Classic Lightweights UK site; an interesting source for pictures and info on vintage British lightweights.


7 comments:

Groover said...

I agree that it doesn't look old fashioned or a misfit. What a beautiful bike.

Grump said...

Nice frame, but how does one mount "new style" allen bolt type brakes to an "old style" frame?
(I'm assuming that the frame was built for 700c wheels)

mpetry912 said...

Old bikes rule ! This morning I was on my Brian Baylis built "Wizard" serial number 13, which has been tastefully updated to Campy Record, and it is a delight to ride. There was another guy I saw riding an almost completely original Carlton Catalina in root beer brown - very cool ! New style brakes are very easy to adapt to an older frame.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Anonymous said...

Nice work by Dave Yates, as ever. He has just delivered me a new fillet-brazed 853 Audax frame, in Italian red. It joins the 1991 Condor Pendio (531 club bike) and 1994 Condor Cadenza (fillet-brazed MTB in Columbus OR) that were built by Yates's workshop at M Steel Cycles.

Anonymous said...

The modern component group works quite well astheticly, and I've always loved black on orange for a color scheme.

If I were to pick a nit, I would have stopped short of using an Aheadset style stem and over-sized bars. (plus, there's an adapter in there... Uhg!) A traditional quill and 26.0 bars would suit it better IMPO.

EE

Anonymous said...

Dave,
"I routinely 'revise' my family of bicycles (ATB, Cross, Road) yearly as viable, NOT trendy, technology proves it 'real world' and fiscal worth."
Suggestion to ALL, review your existing 'bicycle pedal' weight.
Daily testing suggests a sight INCREASE in crank pedal(s) weight assists in sustaining momentum on flat, slight incline and downhill surfaces.
Check with your local bicycle retailer because this requires multiple types and 'as supplied' weight selection.
Do NOT attempt if existing physical aliments limit your 'body parts'.
Sorry, stated ware cannot fix 'what is broken' with bicycle or rider!
Reg says - 'RPM's are your friend!'

Anonymous said...

Arggh, that otherwise beautiful bike needs a cable trim and the handlebar professionally wrapped. The rear derailleur cable should also be routed between the headtube and the front brake cable.
And yes (!), please discard the nuovo threadless stem with a proper quill stem as there are many classy options still readily available