Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Its not April Fools Day already, is it?


I know this has appeared on several other bike blogs but I must add my random thoughts on the subject. I keep looking over the Thrust-Pac website, and thinking this has to be a joke, right, they can’t be serious. If it were around the 1st. of April, I would say, “Definitely a spoof.”

I lived in California for fourteen years and still have many friends there, so I hate to generalize, but the Golden State really does have more flakes than a box of cereal. I mean you would have to smoke some serious shit to come up with an idea like this.

I quote from the website: “The Thrust-pac pushes you forward on any device of your choice...bicycles, skates, canoe/kayaks, scooters, wheelchairs, skis etc.”

Wait a minute, back up there. Did they really mention wheelchairs? Retirement homes could invest in one of these and leave it by the front door, just in case one of the old folks wants to make a quick trip to the grocery store.

Just leave a set of roller blades with it for the seniors who are not wheelchair bound. And for everyone else if any of the above listed devices are not suicidal enough for you, how about hang gliding.

I couldn’t help but notice there are many pictures on the website, some taken in famous locations, but none of anyone actually in motion on a bike, skateboard, or skis, etc.

One question I have, if the throttle is operated by flexing the index finger, what happens if you suddenly grab the brakes as in a panic stop.

I hope they are geared up for some serious production, because I can really see people beating their doors down to buy this one at $895 for the starter model. That doesn’t include the cost of the bike. Are they kidding, if you want to be motorized, $895 is close to the price of a nice little Vespa scooter.

Of course I agree $895 for one of these will buy you a lot of attention, and that’s probably what those behind this little venture are banking on. That they are not the only flakes in California with too much time and money on their hands.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang gliding suicidal, hardly. Rollerblading with that contraption on would be far more likely to get you hurt. Hang gliding can be quite a safe sport. There were ZERO deaths in 2006 in hang gliding. Check out Hang Gliding Org if you want to see what modern hang gliding is all about.

Dave Moulton said...

My apologies to hang gliding enthusiasts, it was not my intention to imply that your sport was dangerous. My blog was meant to be a not too serious look at a piece of equipment that when added to the equation of cycling, skateboarding, skiing, etc. IMO would increase the risk factor considerably.

I was being facetious when I threw hang-gliding in there, even the makers didn’t list that as one of its applications. However, I think most would agree that if anyone did use a strap-on propeller with a hang glider it might become dangerous. That was the point I was trying to make.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn more about another sport. You have already given me an idea for a future blog about “perceived risk.”

Da' Square Wheelman, said...

I'm not sure it's a joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJCmUPcFIM). But 150 miles to a gallon?

And there's been a number of folks who have also hooked up jet engines to bikes over the last few years; mostly Europeans.

Check 'em out at YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nYMwd9dmUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCb52pX024

VintageSpin said...

Well I guess drafting this guy is out of the question. On group rides, everyone will form a V formation, looking like migrating Canadian Geese.
...and are you going to walk into Starbucks with that on?

Yokota Fritz said...

I have a friend who straps a propellor like this Thrustpack on his back along with a parachute, goes for a flying leap and cruises above the highway. I'm absolutely serious.